My background as a content marketer, strategist, and copywriter summed up in a resume
I haven’t used a resume since 2003 when I first took the leap into freelancing — this website serves the purpose better, right?
But for those who ask, here are all the bullet points you might care to skim, below. Otherwise, you can check out the less formal version (My Story) or the downloadable one-page resume (PDF).
Senior content marketing strategist available for contract assignments: strategy, SEO & topic research, writing
- 10+ years’ experience using strategic content marketing to create a unique competitive advantage that translates into business results.
- Rebranded website, increased sustainable organic traffic and leads from 280 visits/month to 25k/month (0 member signups to 30/month) in a saturated market. Averaged 30% monthly traffic growth over 2 years.
- Grew another website from <1k visits/0 leads to 75k visits and 950 leads/month in under a year.
- Specialize in writing for the web, including content planning and promotion and search engine focused copy that meets communication goals.
- High-quality copywriting for over 40 different B2C and B2B client industries including top consumer brands as well as complex industrial and technology products.
Content Marketing, Strategy, and Copywriting Experience
SaaSpirin — Chief Content Strategist (remote)
(2020 – present) I collaborated with the founder of this new agency to set up a structure to serve clients. I recruited writers, coordinated operations, and provided strategy and editing services myself, next hiring and training a coordinator, editor and strategist to take over. I set up and documented our processes for delivery, created our client onboarding process, and established a content strategy for the agency itself. As our team grows, I’m consulting on strategy and providing guidance on content marketing operations.
Animalz — Sr. Content Marketing Manager (remote)
(June 2019 – August 2020) I managed client relationships and content marketing efforts at a busy agency known for its focus on high quality output in the SaaS niche. I joined Animalz when the team was around 50 people and worked with 3-4 clients at a time. My work involved every aspect of the content pipeline: creating strategies, researching and pitching topics, interviewing SMEs, writing and optimizing content, creating custom images, reporting on results, publishing in WordPress, and conducting outreach to improve exposure and links.
During my full-time appointment, notable clients I worked with included Amazon’s Alexa, as well as SaaS companies that provided tools for executive recruiting, employee engagement, and content management. One of my favorite aspects of working with Animalz was the chance to mentor incoming junior content writers and freelancers.
I continue to work with the Animalz team on a consulting basis to create content for clients like Buffer, Amplitude, and others.
Gleim — Marketing Communications Manager (Gainesville, FL)
(August 2018 – June 2019) Led team of 3 handling SEO, social media, email marketing, and company website and blog at accounting education software company. Worked on-site, leading a project with an SEO consultant and collaborating with SMEs and other company departments.
SEO Advantage — Director & Brand Manager
Director of Special Projects
(2016-2018) Content marketing and product team leader for company’s highest priority project. As Director of Special Projects at SEO Advantage, I built a company-owned brand to support our work in the personal injury law industry. Taking stock of the competitive landscape, I spotted an opportunity to serve people a little differently. It paid off for both of our major audiences (B2B: law firms and B2C: injured people). Our traffic increased on average 30% MOM, leads to the site grew to a point where we had to rethink how to serve them, and submissions to the directory grew from 1 or 2/month to as high as 50 some months. After two years of building the site into a sustainable, organically growing asset, I transitioned marketing management to the in-house ownership team.
Other notable projects:
- Managed development of a website for entry into a new industry by the company, including video production, email outreach, social media profiles, and setup of an extensive knowledge center.
- Developed a basic system of standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be used company-wide, with an immediate solution to begin capturing processes.
Director of Client Care
(2016-2018) Launched the company’s dedicated client care department to manage relationships as the agency grew. Responsible for managing our largest clients’ projects.
- HIGHLIGHT: Took client’s site traffic from <1k/mo and 0 leads to 76k with 950 leads per month, in less than a year.
- Online marketing strategy, project management, analytics and reporting. Liaison for clients and our staff of online copywriters, designers, systems specialists, SEO strategists and PR professionals.
- Onboarded new clients, including orientation to our processes and staff members.
- Established project parameters for new clients and major projects.
- Led initiatives to educate and build relationships with our existing client base, including introduction and production of an educational monthly newsletter.
- Provided a point of contact with the company for any client. Promoted from account manager to director after 7 months.
SEO Copywriter & Director of Marketing
(2004-2010) Joined the company as its first copywriter, quickly moving into a consultative marketing role.
- Management of marketing activities for SEO firm and its clients, including company newsletter, social media development, content marketing, website development, partner referral programs.
- Hired and managed copywriters when outsourcing content development projects.
- Conceptual development, copywriting, proofreading, and editing for online communications: websites, landing pages, paid search advertising. Worked with other copywriters, web designers and programmers.
- Development of online revenue-generating portals for various industries: real estate, law, accounting, search engine optimization resources, incorporating services.
- Management of online PR function, including press release writing and distribution.
LisaBanks.com — Freelance Copywriter
- Conceptual development, copywriting, proofreading, and editing on contract basis for advertising agencies and companies.
- Monthly copywriting of home page and content for top American coffeemaker brand. Home page copy promoting online sweepstakes pulled in 18,000 entries within first two weeks.
- Research, translation, and copywriting for Japan’s largest mobile phone service provider.
- Search engine writing for agencies specializing in Internet solutions.
- Develop and write copy for brochures, sales letters, direct mail, newsletters digital signage content, print advertising, corporate videos, product sheets, presentations, mailers, manuals, press releases, email newsletters, radio spots, catalogs, TV commercials, advertorials, case studies.
- Consult on strategy and critique existing materials for clients. Provide support for agencies submitting proposals to potential clients.
- Partner with art director to offer full-service production of marketing materials.
- American Advertising Federation volunteer for local Addy Awards.
Adbiz — Senior Copywriter (Alachua, Florida)
- Conceptual development and content planning including research, brand development, copywriting, and editing for web copy, advertising, direct mail, and other marketing collateral.
- Ongoing development of content as editor of revenue-generating online portal incorporating affiliate marketing and directory listings.
- Spearhead public relations efforts: press release development, distribution, and follow-up. Maintain current local and national press contact lists.
- Edit client-provided copy. Provide critiques of client materials.
- Write surveys; code and analyze responses; prepare research reports.
- Participate in client meetings and interview key staff to develop points of differentiation and gather information.
- Write internal communications: creative briefs, client profiles, agency promotion including website, event invitations, staff profiles, client case studies, RFPs, proposals. Presented seminar on basics of market research to agency staff and interns.
- Supervise copywriting internship program
Verrandeaux Visual Communications — Copywriter / Marketing Strategist (Ocala, Florida)
- Consulted on account strategy formulation, provided reports and recommendations to account executives and agency management. Composed proposals resulting in acquisition of new accounts.
- Coordinated all copywriting and proofreading at medium-sized advertising agency for a wide variety of client industries, including equine embryo transfer, residential development and real estate, fitness, custom closet solutions, fire apparatus, high vacuum components, security gates, air intake filters, and much more.
- Conducted research including client-satisfaction interviews, client industry research, marketing best practices, new developments in media such as e-mail marketing, direct mail, lead generation tactics, and ROI measurement.
- Researched media and maintained contact lists for public relations.
- Initiated internal e-mail seminar on copywriting and creativity for staff education and motivation.
- Drafted and reviewed the president’s communications with stakeholders.
NTT Solco Corporation — Staff Copywriter / Communications Instructor (Tokyo, Japan)
Copywriter & Translator
- Developed English-language promotional materials for clients in the telecommunications industry, primarily NTT DoCoMo (Japan’s largest mobile service provider – 50 million subscribers).
- Copywriting/translation from Japanese to English of headlines and product descriptions for quarterly 80-page mobile phone catalog, product booklet for 3G FOMA cell phone service and handsets, brochures, new product sheets, and various promotional materials.
- Technical writing of user manuals for mobile phone online services and handset user manuals.
- Worked with account executives and production staff of Japanese advertising agencies (Dentsu, DentsuTech, and NTT Ad) for creative that appealed to the clients’ worldwide non-Japanese target markets including partner organizations, investors, and consumers.
- Developed company policies for word usage, consulted The Chicago Manual of Style and AP Stylebook extensively.
- Researched and wrote audio scripts for NTT national telephone and Internet service automated help line and Tokyo Imperial Hotel internal phone system.
- Communications Support for Call Center
- Cultural communications consultant for NTT East call center handling inquiries from non-Japanese subscribers of telephone and Internet service. Provided scripts to aid in clear communications with callers. Translated e-mail communications from English-language customers and advised on reply.
- Assisted in hiring and evaluating employees for English-language translation and call centers – conducted interviews, evaluated recorded customer interactions, counseled on communications issues. Prepared report and presented recommendations to Japanese management for improving employee morale and customer support.
Communications Seminar Instructor
- Developed and conducted business communications training seminars for divisions of NTT East and corporate clients of NTT throughout the Kanto region. Prepared PowerPoint presentations and interactive exercises.
- Wrote and published five beginner and intermediate textbooks/workbooks for teaching telephone and e-mail business communication skills.
- Judged annual English Telephone Customer Service competition in Tokyo and Kanto.
Hakodate City Board of Education — Japan Exchange Teacher and Language Consultant (Hokkaido, Japan)
- Contracted for English language support in public school system and city hall.
- Planned and instructed English language and international understanding classes for all levels.
- Organized and presented workshops for Japanese teachers of English and other international instructors.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of English grammar and ability to transcend cultural barriers in explaining complex concepts.
- Organized and translated international communications materials for the Tourism and International Affairs Sections at Hakodate City Hall.
- Participated in cross-cultural events, presented topics such as cooking/diet in North America. Worked with interpreters and translators when needed.
Sales & Marketing Group — Marketing Representative (Halifax, NS, Canada)
- Coordinated and executed promotional campaigns for various clients in the snack and beverage industries, including Hostess Frito-Lay, Pepsi Co., and Neilson Cadbury.
- Researched local markets and secured new points of distribution.
- Organized daily team schedules to reach weekly program objectives. Presented reports to clients.
Dalhousie University MBA Program — Market Consultant (Halifax, NS, Canada)
- Conducted year-long market study including primary and secondary research of internal and external factors, strategy formulation, and presentation of recommendations and implementation plan for Atlantic Canadian franchise.
- Represented Atlantic Canadian companies from tourism and brewing industries on a trade mission to Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. Researched local markets and arranged and conducted business meetings on behalf of clients for international marketing MBA internship.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Master of Business Administration (International Business, Marketing)
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Marketing)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Business Development Seminars Financial Statement Interpretation, Chairing Effective Board Meetings, Marketing & Exporting. Growth Opportunities Agency, Digby, NS, Canada (2003)
Certificate of Japanese Language Proficiency Level II (score: 82.75%) Tokyo, Japan (2001) Ability to converse, read, and write about general matters. Approximately 1,000 kanji and 6,000 words.