High-quality website copywriter, SEO editor & online marketing consultant
I haven’t actually used a resume since 2003–this website itself serves the purpose better, right? But for those who ask, here are all the bullet points you might care to skim. (I recommend the less formal version here.)
- High-quality copywriting for over 40 different B2C and B2B client industries including top consumer brands as well as complex industrial products.
- Specialize in writing for the web, including content planning and promotion and search engine friendly copy that meets communication goals.
- Professional, full-time advertising agency and client-side copywriting experience.
Professional Copywriting & Marketing Experience
[Marketing Director / SEO Copywriter]
SEO Advantage, Tampa, Florida (2005-2010)
- Management of marketing activities for SEO firm and its clients, including company newsletter, social media development, content marketing, website development., partner referral programs.
- Hired and managed copywriters when outsourcing content development projects.
- Conceptual development, copywriting, proofreading, and editing for online communications: websites, landing pages, paid search advertising. Worked with other copywriters, web designers and programmers.
- Development of online revenue-generating portals for various industries: real estate, law, accounting, search engine optimization resources, incorporating services.
- Management of online PR function, including press release writing and distribution.
- Conceptual development, copywriting, proofreading, and editing on contract basis for advertising agencies and companies.
- Monthly copywriting of home page and content for top American coffeemaker brand. Home page copy promoting online sweepstakes pulled in 18,000 entries within first two weeks.
- Research, translation, and copywriting for Japan’s largest mobile phone service provider.
- Search engine writing for agencies specializing in Internet solutions.
- Develop and write copy for brochures, sales letters, direct mail, newsletters digital signage content, print advertising, corporate videos, product sheets, presentations, mailers, manuals, press releases, email newsletters, radio spots, catalogs, TV commercials, advertorials, case studies.
- Consult on strategy and critique existing materials for clients. Provide support for agencies submitting proposals to potential clients.
- Partner with art director to offer full-service production of marketing materials.
- American Advertising Federation volunteer for local Addy Awards.
[Senior Copywriter] Adbiz, Alachua, Florida (2004)
- Conceptual development and content planning including research, brand development, copywriting, and editing for web copy, advertising, direct mail, and other marketing collateral.
- Ongoing development of content as editor of revenue-generating online portal incorporating affiliate marketing and directory listings.
- Spearhead public relations efforts: press release development, distribution, and follow-up. Maintain current local and national press contact lists.
- Edit client-provided copy. Provide critiques of client materials.
- Write surveys; code and analyze responses; prepare research reports.
- Participate in client meetings and interview key staff to develop points of differentiation and gather information.
- Write internal communications: creative briefs, client profiles, agency promotion including website, event invitations, staff profiles, client case studies, RFPs, proposals. Presented seminar on basics of market research to agency staff and interns.
- Supervise copywriting internship program
[Copywriter / Marketing Strategist]
V. Visual Communications, Ocala, Florida (2002-2003)
- Consulted on account strategy formulation, provided reports and recommendations to account executives and agency management. Composed proposals resulting in acquisition of new accounts.
- Coordinated all copywriting and proofreading at medium-sized advertising agency for a wide variety of client industries, including equine embryo transfer, residential development and real estate, fitness, custom closet solutions, fire apparatus, high vacuum components, security gates, air intake filters, and much more.
- Conducted research including client-satisfaction interviews, client industry research, marketing best practices, new developments in media such as e-mail marketing, direct mail, lead generation tactics, and ROI measurement.
- Researched media and maintained contact lists for public relations.
- Initiated internal e-mail seminar on copywriting and creativity for staff education and motivation.
- Drafted and reviewed the president’s communications with stakeholders.
[Staff Copywriter / Communications Instructor]
NTT Solco Corporation, Tokyo, Japan (1999-2002)
Copywriting & Translation
- Developed English-language promotional materials for clients in the telecommunications industry, primarily NTT DoCoMo (Japan’s largest mobile service provider – 50 million subscribers).
- Copywriting/translation from Japanese to English of headlines and product descriptions for quarterly 80-page mobile phone catalog, product booklet for 3G FOMA cell phone service and handsets, brochures, new product sheets, and various promotional materials.
- Technical writing of user manuals for mobile phone online services and handset user manuals.
- Worked with account executives and production staff of Japanese advertising agencies (Dentsu, DentsuTech, and NTT Ad) for creative that appealed to the clients’ worldwide non-Japanese target markets including partner organizations, investors, and consumers.
- Developed company policies for word usage, consulted The Chicago Manual of Style and AP Stylebook extensively.
- Researched and wrote audio scripts for NTT national telephone and Internet service automated help line and Tokyo Imperial Hotel internal phone system.
- Communications Support for Call Center
- Cultural communications consultant for NTT East call center handling inquiries from non-Japanese subscribers of telephone and Internet service. Provided scripts to aid in clear communications with callers. Translated e-mail communications from English-language customers and advised on reply.
- Assisted in hiring and evaluating employees for English-language translation and call centers – conducted interviews, evaluated recorded customer interactions, counseled on communications issues. Prepared report and presented recommendations to Japanese management for improving employee morale and customer support.
Communications Seminar Instructor
- Developed and conducted business communications training seminars for divisions of NTT East and corporate clients of NTT throughout the Kanto region. Prepared PowerPoint presentations and interactive exercises.
- Wrote and published five beginner and intermediate textbooks/workbooks for teaching telephone and e-mail business communication skills.
- Judged annual English Telephone Customer Service competition in Tokyo and Kanto.
Hakodate City Board of Education, Hokkaido, Japan
- Contracted for English language support in public school system and city hall.
- Planned and instructed English language and international understanding classes for all levels.
- Organized and presented workshops for Japanese teachers of English and other international instructors.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of English grammar and ability to transcend cultural barriers in explaining complex concepts.
- Organized and translated international communications materials for the Tourism and International Affairs Sections at Hakodate City Hall.
- Participated in cross-cultural events, presented topics such as cooking/diet in North America. Worked with interpreters and translators when needed.
Sales & Marketing Group, Halifax, NS, Canada
- Coordinated and executed promotional campaigns for various clients in the snack and beverage industries, including Hostess Frito-Lay, Pepsi Co., and Neilson Cadbury.
- Researched local markets and secured new points of distribution.
- Organized daily team schedules to reach weekly program objectives. Presented reports to clients.
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
- Conducted year-long market study including primary and secondary research of internal and external factors, strategy formulation, and presentation of recommendations and implementation plan for Atlantic Canadian franchise.
- Represented Atlantic Canadian companies from tourism and brewing industries on a trade mission to Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. Researched local markets and arranged and conducted business meetings on behalf of clients for international marketing MBA internship.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Master of Business Administration (International Business, Marketing)
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Marketing)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Nutrition Consulting Certificate
Gloria Packard School of Nutrition, Montreal, QC, Canada (currently enrolled by correspondence)
Business Development Seminars Financial Statement Interpretation, Chairing Effective Board Meetings, Marketing & Exporting. Growth Opportunities Agency, Digby, NS, Canada (2003)
Certificate of Japanese Language Proficiency Level II (score: 82.75%) Tokyo, Japan (2001) Ability to converse, read, and write about general matters. Approximately 1,000 kanji and 6,000 words.